By Sarah Ellenzweig
Read or Download The Fringes of Belief: English Literature, Ancient Heresy, and the Politics of Freethinking, 1660-1760 PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
Johnson himself wrote in 1782: 'I comprehend now not that i've got written any more thing often recommended than the Lives of the Poets'. regularly famous as an enormous biographical and important success, Samuel Johnson's final literary venture is additionally one among his such a lot readable and wonderful, written with attribute eloquence and conviction, and every now and then with combative trenchancy.
Beckett and Levinas are of critical significance to severe debates approximately literary ethics. instead of recommend the upkeep of literary and moral worth within the wake of the WWII, this booklet argues that either introduced a sustained assault at the rules of literature, weaving narrative, and descriptive doubt via phenomenology, prose, and drama.
In the course of the 18th century medication turned an self sufficient self-discipline and perform. Surgeons justified themselves as expert practitioners and set themselves except the unspecialized, hack barber-surgeons of early modernity. This name offers 17 essays at the dating among drugs and literature throughout the Enlightenment.
Among Wales and England is an exploration of eighteenth-century anglophone Welsh writing through authors for whom English-language literature was once regularly a secondary difficulty. In its strategy, the paintings interrogates those authors’ perspectives at the newly-emerging experience of ‘Britishness’, discovering them in lots of situations to be extra nuanced and no more resistant than has normally been thought of.
- Trauma and Transformation: The Political Progress of John Bunyan
- Popular Medicine, Hysterical Disease, and Social Controversy in Shakespeare's England (Literary and Scientific Cultures of Early Modernity)
- Literature, Religion, and the Evolution of Culture, 1660–1780
- Idioms of Self Interest: Credit, Identity, and Property in English Renaissance Literature (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- India in Britain: South Asian Networks and Connections, 1858-1950
- Victorian Occultism and the Making of Modern Magic: Invoking Tradition (Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic)
Additional resources for The Fringes of Belief: English Literature, Ancient Heresy, and the Politics of Freethinking, 1660-1760