By Diana Barsham
Read Online or Download Arthur Conan Doyle and the Meaning of Masculinity (The Nineteenth Century Series) PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
Johnson himself wrote in 1782: 'I comprehend now not that i've got written any other thing often recommended than the Lives of the Poets'. consistently famous as a massive biographical and demanding fulfillment, Samuel Johnson's final literary undertaking is usually considered one of his such a lot readable and wonderful, written with attribute eloquence and conviction, and now and then with combative trenchancy.
Beckett and Levinas are of crucial significance to severe debates approximately literary ethics. instead of recommend the protection of literary and moral price within the wake of the WWII, this e-book argues that either introduced a sustained assault at the rules of literature, weaving narrative, and descriptive doubt via phenomenology, prose, and drama.
Throughout the 18th century medication grew to become an independent self-discipline and perform. Surgeons justified themselves as expert practitioners and set themselves except the unspecialized, hack barber-surgeons of early modernity. This identify provides 17 essays at the dating among medication and literature through the Enlightenment.
Among Wales and England is an exploration of eighteenth-century anglophone Welsh writing via authors for whom English-language literature was once typically a secondary drawback. In its method, the paintings interrogates those authors’ perspectives at the newly-emerging feel of ‘Britishness’, discovering them in lots of circumstances to be extra nuanced and not more resistant than has often been thought of.
- Poverty in Contemporary Literature: Themes and Figurations on the British Book Market (Palgrave Pivot)
- Emissaries in Early Modern Literature and Culture: Mediation, Transmission, Traffic, 1550–1700 (Transculturalisms, 1400–1700)
- Radical Larkin: Seven Types of Technical Mastery
- The Drama of Coronation: Medieval Ceremony in Early Modern England
- The Business of the Novel: Economics, Aesthetics and the Case of Middlemarch (Literary Texts and the Popular Marketplace)
- The Oxford Handbook of Tudor Drama (Oxford Handbooks of Literature)
Extra resources for Arthur Conan Doyle and the Meaning of Masculinity (The Nineteenth Century Series)