By S. J. Harrison
Read or Download Apuleius: A Latin Sophist PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
This can be the 1st book-length research to reconstruct the studies of the deserted heroines of the Heroides, that have been mostly overlooked through prior feedback. Dr Spentzou seeks how one can isolate, represent, and liberate the feminine voice and adventure inside Ovid's male-authored textual content. construction on quite a lot of old in addition to smooth photographs and reflections on gender and writing, the booklet makes an attempt to map the connection among gendered sensitivitiesand adventure and widespread expression and offerings.
The 13th century observed one of these proliferation of recent encyclopedic texts that a couple of pupil has known as it the “century of the encyclopedias. ” Variously known as a speculum, glossary, or imago mundi—the time period encyclopedia used to be no longer regularly utilized to such books till the eighteenth century—these texts have been geared up in this kind of manner reader might simply find a set of authoritative statements on any given subject.
Diebold Lauber’s workshop in Hagenau produced hand-written illustrated texts within the first 1/2 the fifteenth century. in the past they've been studied often relating to their serial creation. they're considered “nicely painted” yet with the wording mostly copied with little attention of its content material.
Known as variously the ’Byzantine epic’, the ’epic of contemporary Greece’, an ’epic-romance’ and ’romance’, the poem of Digenes Akrites has, due to the fact that its rediscovery in the direction of the top of the 19th century, exerted a tenacious carry at the mind's eye of students from quite a lot of disciplines and from many nations of the realm, in addition to of writers and public figures in Greece.
- Arabic Literature to the End of the Umayyad Period (The Cambridge History of Arabic Literature)
- Critical Notes on Virgil: Editing the Teubner Text of the "Georgics" and the "Aeneid"
- The Arma Christi in Medieval and Early Modern Material Culture: With a Critical Edition of 'O Vernicle'
- Saint Margaret, Queen of the Scots: A Life in Perspective (The New Middle Ages)
- Modernism and Eugenics: Woolf, Eliot, Yeats, and the Culture of Degeneration
- A Handbook to Classical Reception in Eastern and Central Europe (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception)
Additional resources for Apuleius: A Latin Sophist