By Olive Dame Campbell,Elizabeth M. Williams
In 1908 and 1909, famous social reformer and "songcatcher" Olive Dame Campbell traveled together with her husband, John C. Campbell, during the Southern Highlands sector of Appalachia to survey the social and financial stipulations in mountain groups. in the course of the trip, Olive stored a close diary providing a shiny, pleasing, and private account of the areas the couple visited, the folks they met, and the mountain cultures they encountered.
Although John C. Campbell's e-book, The Southern Highlander and His Homeland, is brought up by way of approximately each student writing concerning the zone, little has been released in regards to the Campbells themselves and their function within the sociological, academic, and cultural historical past of Appalachia. during this serious version, Elizabeth McCutchen Williams makes Olive's diary commonly obtainable to students and scholars for the 1st time. Appalachian Travels merely bargains a useful account of mountain society on the flip of the 20 th century.
Read or Download Appalachian Travels: The Diary of Olive Dame Campbell PDF
Similar american history books
Many of us think that the Civil warfare was once began by means of the Southern states due to slavery and the difficulty of secession. the following the writer argues otherwise: Southerners believed that they might reap the benefits of a unique kind of executive than that in their Northern friends. Southerners, whose economic system relied on agriculture, felt that the industrialized North handed legislation and set taxes unfair to the South.
Jerrold Casway coined the word “The Emerald Age of Baseball” to explain the Eighteen Nineties, while such a lot of Irish names ruled groups’ rosters. yet it is easy to simply agree—and expand—that the interval from the mid–1830s good into the 1st decade of the 20 th century and assign the time period to American activities commonly.
Martin R. Delany (1812-85) has been known as the "Father of Black Nationalism," yet his notable occupation additionally encompassed the jobs of abolitionist, surgeon, editor, explorer, baby-kisser, military officer, novelist, and political theorist. regardless of his huge, immense impact within the 19th century, and his carrying on with effect on black nationalist notion within the 20th century, Delany has remained a comparatively vague determine in U.
This accomplished identify is one of the first to commonly use newly published 2010 U. S. Census information to envision multiculturalism this day and day after today in the US. This contrast is necessary contemplating the next NPR record through Eyder Peralta: “Based at the first nationwide numbers published via the Census Bureau, the AP experiences that minorities account for ninety percentage of the whole U.
- The Ravenscroft School in Asheville: A History of the Institution and Its People and Buildings: 32 (Contributions to Southern Appalachian Studies)
- Southern Agriculture During the Civil War Era, 1860-1880 (Contributions in American History)
- American Slavery, Irish Freedom: Abolition, Immigrant Citizenship, and the Transatlantic Movement for Irish Repeal (Antislavery, Abolition, and the Atlantic World)
- Essays in the History of Early American Law (Published by the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture and the University of North Carolina Press)
- The Wichita Indians: Traders of Texas and the Southern Plains, 1540-1845 (Centennial Series of the Association of Former Students, Texas A&M University)
- Selected Writings and Speeches of James E. Shepard, 1896–1946: Founder of North Carolina Central University
Additional resources for Appalachian Travels: The Diary of Olive Dame Campbell