By Laura Barsanti,Paolo Gualtieri
A single-source reference at the biology of algae, Algae: Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Biotechnology, moment Edition examines crucial taxa and buildings for freshwater, marine, and terrestrial different types of algae. Its complete assurance is going from algae's historic position via its taxonomy and ecology to its traditional product possibilities.
The authors have amassed an important quantity of latest fabric because the e-book of the 1st version. This thoroughly revised moment variation comprises many alterations and additions together with the following:
- All revised and rewritten tables, plus new figures, many in color
- A interesting new bankruptcy: Oddities and Curiosities within the Algal World
- Expanded details on algal anatomy
- Absorption spectra from all algal divisions, chlorophylls, and accent pigments
- Additional details on assortment, garage, and maintenance of algae
- Updated part on algal pollutants and algal bioactive molecules
The book's unifying topic is at the vital position of algae within the earth's self-regulating existence help procedure and its functionality inside restorative versions of planetary health and wellbeing. It additionally discusses algae's biotechnological purposes, together with strength dietary and pharmaceutical items. Written for college students in addition to researchers, lecturers, and pros within the box of phycology and utilized phycology, this new full-color variation is either illuminating and encouraging.
Read Online or Download Algae: Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Biotechnology, Second Edition PDF
Similar marine biology books
Performing as titans in worldwide keep watch over of the biosphere and colonizing almost all corners of the earth, algae, tremendous varied and diverse oxygenic, photosynthetic organisms, could be significant avid gamers in and drivers of environmental switch. for centuries, seeing that their evolutionary origins through endosymbiosis, whilst a protozoan enslaved a cyanobacterium, interested scientists strove to discover the mysteries in their variety, interactions, taxonomy, and type.
A finished examine of intercourse differentiation gonochoric and hermaphroditic fishes, this book examines intercourse chromosomes and intercourse deciding on genes, emphasizing the necessity to look for multiple sex-determining gene living on diversified chromosomes. It traces the foundation of hermaphrodites from secondary gonochores and explains the conservation of homologous intercourse differentiation and steroid receptor genes between gonochores and hermaphrodites.
Whereas the eu panorama conference followed in Florence in 2000 via the eu Council deals a public-action framework via a normative definition, the marine and submarine dimensions of landscapes are attracting growing to be curiosity from researchers around the world. At a time whilst marine-conservation pursuits are strongly recommended through the conference on organic range, the French Marine secure parts employer, a public establishment lower than the governance of the French Ministry of our surroundings, has accrued widespread specialists to draft the first actual interdisciplinary evaluation of underwater seascapes, which will start up and lend path to a much wider mirrored image in this rising learn subject.
Marine macrophytes (macroalgae, seagrasses, and mangroves) contain hundreds of thousands of species dispensed in shallow water parts alongside the world’s coastlines. They play a key position in marine ecosystems relating to biodiversity and effort move. a wide share of macrophyte species might be characterized as surroundings engineers—organisms that at once or in some way impact the provision of assets to different species by way of editing, preserving, and growing habitats.
- Bacterial Fish Pathogens: Disease of Farmed and Wild Fish
- Nutritional Freshwater Life
- Biodiversity of the Southern Ocean
- Freshwater Crustacean Zooplankton of Europe: Cladocera & Copepoda (Calanoida, Cyclopoida) Key to species identification, with notes on ecology, distribution, methods and introduction to data analysis
- Biology of the Hard Clam (Developments in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science)
- Seaweed Biology: Novel Insights into Ecophysiology, Ecology and Utilization: 219 (Ecological Studies)
Additional info for Algae: Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Biotechnology, Second Edition