By Nigel Alderman,C. D. Blanton
- An ancient assessment and demanding creation to the poetry released in Britain and eire over the past half-century
- Introduces scholars to figures together with Philip Larkin, Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, and Andrew Motion
- Takes an integrative procedure, emphasizing the advanced negotiations among the British and Irish poetic traditions, and pulling jointly competing trends and positions
- Written via critics from Britain, eire, and the United States
- Includes feedback for additional analyzing and a chronology, detailing an important writers, volumes and events
Read Online or Download A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
Johnson himself wrote in 1782: 'I understand no longer that i've got written any more thing regularly counseled than the Lives of the Poets'. continually well-known as a huge biographical and demanding fulfillment, Samuel Johnson's final literary undertaking can also be one among his so much readable and pleasing, written with attribute eloquence and conviction, and from time to time with combative trenchancy.
Beckett and Levinas are of principal significance to severe debates approximately literary ethics. instead of recommend the renovation of literary and moral worth within the wake of the WWII, this publication argues that either introduced a sustained assault at the ideas of literature, weaving narrative, and descriptive doubt via phenomenology, prose, and drama.
In the course of the 18th century medication turned an self sustaining self-discipline and perform. Surgeons justified themselves as expert practitioners and set themselves except the unspecialized, hack barber-surgeons of early modernity. This identify provides 17 essays at the dating among medication and literature through the Enlightenment.
Among Wales and England is an exploration of eighteenth-century anglophone Welsh writing by means of authors for whom English-language literature used to be normally a secondary crisis. In its approach, the paintings interrogates those authors’ perspectives at the newly-emerging feel of ‘Britishness’, discovering them in lots of situations to be extra nuanced and not more resistant than has mostly been thought of.
- Miscellaneous Short Poetry, 1641–1700: Printed Writings 1641–1700: Series II, Part Three, Volume 4: v. 4 (The Early Modern Englishwoman: A Facsimile Library ... 1641â€“1700: Series II, Part Three)
- Grace Norton [Gethin] and Frances (Freke) Norton: Printed Writings 1641–1700: Series II, Part Two, Volume 9 (The Early Modern Englishwoman: A Facsimile ... Writings, 1641â€“1700: Series II, Part Two)
- The Ekphrastic Encounter in Contemporary British Poetry and Elsewhere
- Shelley's Music: Fantasy, Authority, and the Object Voice
- Modern Poetry and Ethnography: Yeats, Frost, Warren, Heaney, and the Poet as Anthropologist
Extra info for A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)